Popular Posts

Saturday, November 28, 2009

OECD - ADB Anti-Corruption Workshop - Manila (September)



It was a great delight to be hired once more as a consultant to the Asian Development Bank, in Sept - Oct 2009, to prepare Case Studies for the Regional Seminar on Workshop on the Political Economy of Corruption.

Not only is this a very interesting and immediate topic, it also offered wide opportunities for me to blend my considerable experience of development issues with the whimsical humour that is beloved by my friends but which bemuses those who know me less well.

I was able to invent an imaginary country called Andamanya (whose inhabitants are referred to, somewhat disparagingly by their neighbours the Beracians, as Andamanyacs). This avoided the tricky issues that can arise in teaching from real corruption examples.

Also interesting to re-visit (if only in passing) adjoining Beracia, for which I produced considerable sets of regional planning statistics as teaching materials for a course that I ran at the Development and Project Planning Centre at the University of Bradford in the period 1982 - 1984. These Beracian data complemented those provided by Roemer and Stern in their novel and imaginative text book on macro-economic planning 'Cases in Economic Development - Projects, Policies and Strategies' (1981).

No comments:

Post a Comment