Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

King Kong Crumble




GIANT APE’S ZABUTON TOTALLED

What’s not to like about King Kong if you are a bit of a Buddhist rebel who has a soft spot for Naomi Watts?

So I have always kept an eye out for Kong’s eyrie – the spot where, having slouched out through his favourite cave and its skulls, he slumps down on his cliff-top vantage point to ponder, à la Rodin Le Penseur, deep thoughts on his latest depredations of native villages - as the sun sinks slowly over the lost ocean. This is where his love affair with Naomi is kindled, as she juggles, dances and nestles for him.

I can keep an eye on it because I see it almost every day. Peter Jackson’s crew used the cliff above the disused Maranui Works Depot site, on the west side of Lyall Bay, Wellington as the starting point for recreating the Prime Primate’s premier meditation spot during filming in 2005.

The area below is also the proposed site for Wellington’s $36 million New Zealand Ocean Exploration Centre [see:


Sadly, I have to report that there has been a serious rock fall at the cliff platform that would have even given KK pause for thought, as my central photo illustrates. I’m glad though that Naomi is safe – she already has me eating out of the palm of her hand and if she needs a new companion for a sesshin all she has to do is let me know.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment